Brian's Entry #1
"What I've Seen"
What Iíve seen......
Iíve been in my worksite for 5 months now, and have almost since
given up on trying to explain how I feel about it all. The following
is just a small list of the things I have seen since arriving here.
Iíve seen myself fight to try to understand a language I didnít
know, yet understanding completely just by a look or expression.
Iíve been surround by my friends, yet at the same time completely
- Iíve seen the things I value as strengths become my greatest
weakness, yet things I took for granted gave support.
- Iíve seen five strangers in a short couple of months become a
community. Ready to face a year of the unknown together.
- Iíve seen old friends, yet have met new ones along the way.
- Iíve seen myself call a place I barely knew before home.
- Iíve seen children fight malnutrition, and swam in a river with
- Iíve worried when the ground began to shake, while my family said
ďItís just an earthquakeĒ
- Iíve seen a church put down another because of a slight difference
in belief, yet they offer their homes to a stranger of a different
language and culture.
- Iíve seen the word of God used to oppress a majority of his people,
yet it also gladdens the hearts of many.
- Iíve seen a church refuse to change from the past, yet in one moment
took a step that changed everything.
- Iíve seen grown men fight out their political differences in the
street, while the children celebrate through grace and love.
- Iíve seen a church spend 30 minutes in silent prayer, while yet
another sang loudly for just a long.
- Iíve seen the youth go crazy in the name of God, while others
- Iíve seen myself help those who where moved to tears, and moments
later was the one in need of help.
- Iíve seen people take two days to help deliver food and medicine to
a remote church, yet fail to help one man with a mental disability when he entered our church.
Many things have stayed the same and gone on like nothing happened. Yet, other things have changed dramatically. I havenít been able to
put to words most of what has happened here. This only describes a
piece of what life is here and my place in it.